Nutritional analysis per serving (approximate)
Energy 127kcal, Fat 4.7g, Carbohydrates 28.7g, Fibre 1.4g, Protein 6.5g, Salt 0.5g
Meal Type: Snack/Accompaniment
Costs per serving: 14p (recipe £1.43)
Cooking Time: 25 Minutes
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Once you have made this delicious, simple cornbread, you will want to make it again and again. Versatile and delicious, you can easily add different herbs and spices to create your own version.
- 30g Melted butter
- 200g Cornmeal/polenta flour (try to find a fine one)
- 150g Plain Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- ½ Tsp Salt
- 500ml Buttermilk
- 1 Tsp Chilli Flakes
- 2 Eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Beat together the eggs and buttermilk. Add the melted butter.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients (including the chilli). Mix in the eggs/buttermilk/butter mixture. Mix well to form a smooth batter.
- Grease and line a loaf or cake tin with parchment paper.
- Place in the oven and cook for 25 minutes, after which it should be nicely risen and browned on top. Check if it is cooked by inserting a skewer through the middle. If it comes out clean, it is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and leave to sit in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes. Serve warm with soup, cheese or sliced meats.
- It can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days.