Nutritional analysis per serving (approximate)
Energy 377kcal, Fat 16.1g, Carbohydrates 32.3g, Fibre 3.4g, Protein 24g, Salt 1.3g
Meal Type: Main
Costs per serving: £1.25
Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
Preparation Time: 25 Minutes
Fish pie needn’t be an expensive option. This recipe uses frozen mixed diced fish cooked in a delicious creamy sauce and topped with golden mashed potato.
- 350g Mixed Diced Fish (buy from frozen and defrost in fridge overnight)
- 1 Leek- Roughly chopped
- 350ml Milk
- 20g Butter
- 20g Plain Flour
- 1 Vegetable Stock Cube
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Flat Leaf Parsley
- 1 Lemon – grated zest only
- 600g Maris Piper Potatoes – peeled and cut into large dice.
- 20g Butter
- 1 Egg Yolk
- Salt and Pepper
- In a non-stick pan, melt the butter and add the leek. Cook gently for 4 minutes, taking care not to burn the butter or the leek.
- Add the flour and mix well. Stir over the heat for a minute or so.
- Add the milk a little at a time, stirring well over the heat to form a smooth paste after each addition. Keep it moving so it does not burn.
- When you have added all the milk, you should have a smooth sauce. Crumble in the stock cube, turn the heat right down and leave to gently cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the parsley and grated lemon zest and remove from heat.
- Place the fish into an oven proof dish. Pour over the sauce and set aside until the topping is ready.
- Preheat you oven to around 180C.
- Place the potatoes in a large pan and cover with cold water. Add a little salt, place on the heat and bring to the boil. Turn down and gently simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- When the potatoes are cooked (a fork should go through one with little resistance), remove from the heat and drain well.
- Place back into the pan and place the pan on a very low heat to try and dry out the potatoes a little before mashing.
- Mash the potatoes well until all the lumps are removed. Add the butter and melt in, then add the egg yolk and mix well.
- Pipe or spoon the potato on top of the filling.
- Sprinkle a little smoked paprika on top and place into the over.
- Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the top is nicely browned and everything is cooked through and piping hot.